View Single Post
Old 06-14-2023, 09:37 AM   #301
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
This is something he's talked about as well. Multiple times he's mentioned "that's something I wouldn't be able to say if I was still in Canada" about something he had just said.

Can't remember which show it was on (Spittin Chiclets, maybe?), but he was telling a story about how he and Brady were at a bar that had this huge long fountain in front of (or near?) it, and how people there would always get drunk and challange someone to a swimming race in it. He was talking about how some guy challenged Brady and Brady destroyed the guy and how hilarious the whole thing was. Then was saying imagine the headlines if that had happened in Canada. It would have been this huge country-wide story, with TSN videos debating on "is this stuff good for the sport of hockey" etc etc.

He was like, "here though, nobody cares about that stuff. Like, everyone just has more important things to worry about than a hockey player swimming in a fountain." (I'm massively paraphrasing from memory, but that was the jist of it.)

He has a point though. I can already see the video in my head of Gino Reda and a random hockey expert talking about respecting public property and worrying about making the playoffs instead of having fun with your brother. Not to mention the twitter and IG polls and the blatantly click-baity SNET headlines etc.
For Vegas, I've seen videos of the players just out in public and people don't recognize them. I've been watching some of their news channels for coverage on street viewing parties outside the arena, etc. and while in Calgary, it would number in the thousands, in Vegas it was like "a hundred people have gathered".

Being a millionaire professional athlete in your 20s, its great to play in markets with great weather, luxuries, amenities, entertainment, + anonyminity.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote