View Single Post
Old 08-12-2017, 07:30 AM   #127
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it was mostly a PR stunt to show "see, we're paying prices only a moron would pay, you should too!". It's pretty well known within the boxing community that Floyd's people control the tickets, and they are selling them mostly through brokers and resale sites. And obviously those are moving very slowly, hence why they are now on Costco. But the surest sign this thing is badly struggling is Floyd praising Conor earlier this week, saying Conor should be a slight favorite and saying that he (Floyd) has lost a step. Floyd never says things like that, even in the last fight against Berto when ticket sales and PPV numbers were tracking poorly he didn't say anything like that. This is his retirement/IRS payback cheque, and early returns are not very promising.

I still can't see this doing less than 2.5 million buys on PPV, but even that would be a big disappointment considering they were expecting to break 4.4 million. But if you're going to be in Vegas for the fight, I'm sure you'll be able to get tickets far below face value in the days leading up to the fight as Floyd's people look to unload their tickets and at least get something and avoid the humiliation of scores of empty seats. Sucks for anyone who rushed to pay face value on the $1,500+ seats, already on StubHub some of the more expensive seats are coming in under face value.