View Single Post
Old 04-25-2017, 12:21 PM   #21
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Yeah, well, by moving here, I basically understood that, barring a giant disaster, I will never own a place. That is just the reality for now.

It's just about a place to live, and not using real estate as an investment tool. That is nutcase thinking, and is what is basically driving these out of control costs.

That said, I would not be closed off at all to some kind of rent control.
Even rent control is pretty reasonable here with rent increases being capped at 6% annually. BC's Residential Tenancy Act is generally more favourable to tenants than those in other provinces (Alberta's is pretty bad in this regard). Something I would like to see, but I think has to be done at the municipal level is removing the ability for landlords to flat-out ban pets, especially in apartment and condo complexes. I totally understand size and noise restrictions or, in the case of basement suites, the upstairs owners having allergies, but no pets policies are unnecessarily restrictive and are also leading to a surge in people abandoning their animals to various adoption agencies and animal control services.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post: