Thread: Cycling Thread
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2011, 01:16 PM   #55
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
Hybrid is what you are looking for, but I hate hybrids myself, because they usually have MTB gearing and shocks, which are useless on roads, and some sort of semi knobbed tire.. People underestimate how much of a difference road gearing makes in terms of the effort/speed equation. It's massive. On a MTB most people struggle to stay at 20 kph, on a roadie, that is cruising speed.

The category that I love is relatively new, fitness bikes. Essentially they are compact geometry road bikes, with a flat bar, and usually a carbon fork and a semi gripped 700 x 28 tire (which is fine on light terrain). And most of them have lower end road components, built to take a lot of abuse, and keep them a little less stealy.

The Devinci Olso SL I bought is awesome. 21.4 pounds, comfy and fast. I bought it at Lifesport in Kensington when I was growing frustrated trying to find one of these bikes locally at a fair price. The only thing I could find even close to what I wanted was the Cannondale Quick raw, which was $1500. This bike was $550 less, and it fit me and my needs better. Also Canadian made which is a big bonus with Devinci. Trek made a couple bikes that are similar, with worse components for close to double the price.

Go down to Lifesport, they have a ton of these styles of bikes, and unlike a lot of bike shoppes, they will give you a deal if you ask. I got 10% off the $950 msrp.
Wow, thanks man.

I went to Pedalheads about an hour ago. I dropped my bike off and they're going to put new tires on (I actually opted for the semi-knobbed tires over slicks because there are a couple of spots on my commute where I'm going to have to go off-road), new higher handlebars, "comfort grips" (holy crap those seem awesome), tune up, etc. to partially roadify my mountain bike.

The Devinci Olso SL sounds killer. I'm going to see how the commuting thing goes - if my mountain bike isn't cutting the mustard I will check that out for sure. Thanks for the help!