View Single Post
Old 03-21-2017, 09:30 AM   #1217
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by schooner View Post
Not sure if this is the place for it, but not going to start a new thread.

I am looking to wall mount a tv when I move in to my new place. It is a townhouse and the only suitable wall is the wall shared with the unit next to mine. From what I understand its a double wall (drywall, framing, drywall, framing, drywall) but beyond that there is no extra sound dampening.

I am not going to be doing any thing crazy with speakers. Just wondering if I will have any issues with sound/vibration traveling to the unit beside me coming directly from the tv. In particular the difference in wall mounting vs using a tv stand.
I really don't think you'd have major sound issues unless you can already hear the neighbor through the walls. The best test is really to listen at the wall and see what level of sound you're hearing. If you can't really hear anything other than loud noises from the neighbor, you're probably OK as long as you turn down the volume at night.

It also depends where the sound is originating. If you wall mount a TV and have speakers on the side, I really don't think there's a difference vs putting the TV on a TV stand. If you're seriously concerned about sound, then perhaps consider installing sound dampeners on the walls or buying headphones?

I bought an Astro gaming headset with mixamp for about $100 on an Amazon deal and use it frequently at night when I'm watching movies or playing games and don't want to disturb anyone. It does have "surround sound" which cannot compete with true surround sound speakers, but when I'm using it, the concerns are slightly different than the fact I'm at 90-95% sound quality to my regular set up.

I guess if the situation is serious enough, you could also consider seeing if there's a way to sound proof the wall. If the wall is empty, pump in cellulose or loose fill fibre glass? If it already has insulation and you get sound complaints, then there's still options, but I'd opt for the headsets. You should be able to find them on deals around the $200 range or less.
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post: