View Single Post
Old 08-11-2017, 01:17 PM   #7880
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruttiger View Post
I completely agree with this. I've lived in and around Calgary for the better part of the past 19 years, while I've spent plenty of time in Edmonton my entire life due to having many relatives and friends there, so I feel like I'm in a position to have at least an informed opinion on this. I've felt a community spirit and pride in Edmonton that I've never picked up on in Calgary. Calgary is a beautiful city and you can't argue with geography/where it's located, but it's always felt to me like a city where people come, make their money, and then move on.

Obviously you can't completely generalize and people will undoubtedly come on here and list countless examples to the contrary, but I completely agree with what you've said.
That's actually a fair take. I personally don't like how Calgary has grown so much in the last number of years because it has made it more of a hub for people from abroad looking to move up and a very diverse city that has in turn lost some of its identity and homey-ness that it once had as a smaller city with families that were Calgarian stretching back a couple generations.

There are so many new Calgarians that you can bring up the Flames and the Iginla era and some people will stare at you blankly, which is crazy to think.

It's a city building out and not up, so you have more and more cookie cutter suburbs that all look the same full of people that have only known the city for a few years and don't know what the Caglarian identity really is or looks/feels like.

I have picked up on more of a sense of pride in the community lately in Edmonton which has not experienced the same kind of rapid growth as Calgary (which probably helps with that sense of inclusiveness). Though in the media it comes off as obnoxious pride that lacks self awareness. Edmonton in contrast seems like a city that is almost like that small town that many people don't escape, but they cope by buying into this self-contained belief that it's the best thing out there which probably boosts their spirits.