View Single Post
Old 08-24-2013, 12:15 AM   #16
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just for kicks, I modified ricardo's formula and tried it on players who played most of last season (36+ games last season). The formula I used was:

Altered RGI (ARGI) = (Hits + Blocked Shots + Takaways - Giveaways)/(minutes per game)

This takes out the assumptions of minutes played by each player. The results of the calculation can be downloaded on this spreadsheet:

http://rapidshare.com/files/1638440078/ARGI.xls

Take it for what it is...an arbitrarily defined stat.

I also did simple cut offs by minutes played per game on subsequent sheets. The basic stats (average, median, standard deviation) are provided on each sheet.

General notes:
- Apparently it's possible to get a negative score. Ask Kovalchuk
- A score of about 3 to 8 is where the majority of players fall. Above 8 and, by ricardo's system, you'd call them grittier than most. Below 3 and you'd likely be defined as softer.
- The differences in responsibility of defence vs forwards was not considered. I deleted the position column too quickly
- Tim Jackman is way up there, making me question how valid this test really is. Players with lower minutes per game seem to do much better.
- The use of the giveaway/takeaway seems too useless in this scenario. I'm not really sure I'd call Crosby all that soft.

Last edited by kirant; 08-24-2013 at 12:17 AM.
kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kirant For This Useful Post: