View Single Post
Old 02-04-2016, 07:35 AM   #23
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbeauNoir View Post
I had to look it up and wow that's an u-g-l-y location even if you have a car... they really couldn't find any field even marginally close to a c-train station? How are you supposed to get back home after having a pint or six?

I've had an ear to the ground on this sort of stuff since the whitecaps entered MLS... rumors and offhand declarations like this come out like clockwork every six months or so. There's going to be a pro league tied to the CFL, then there's going to be an all-Canadian NASL division, then there's going to be a pro league tied to the CFL again, then Calgary and Hamilton are guaranteed to be entering the NASL individually next year... oops no, in two years... oops no, in two years after the end of next year... oops no, now NASL is saying they've actually never heard any word of interest at all from any Canadian markets... then there's a rival group saying there's actually going to be a completely different national league and it has nothing to do with the CFL-tied league, and now it's a pro league tied to the CFL *and* the NHL, which is going to be the real deal this time because it got a quiet off-hand reference during a Hamilton city planning meeting as political leverage to get a couple of practice fields built.

I'll believe it's big, big news when I actually see these apparently-real 6-8 ownership groups together on a stage giving concrete announcements of exactly where and when games are going to be played, until then it's yet more smoke and mirrors. Nobody seems to have any reasonable answer to how a "national" league is supposed to have any traction in the pro sports market when 5 of Canada's 6 biggest cities are already accounted for, which I suspect is why the people with money at stake never go any further than expressing vague desires to get it done.
You could just not drink, or bring a DD
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote