Thread: e-cigs
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2015, 11:35 AM   #141
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I'm going to continue to play devils advocate given there are very few studies on vaping and no long term studies.

Here is a recent study from the New England Journal of Medicine (a well respected journal...not like most of what has been published on both sides of the debate at this point...though science shouldn't have sides). Now obviously things at this stage in the scientific community are still very much in their infancy but for those thinking about picking up the habit "just because" may want the information.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc1413069

Quote:
Inhaled formaldehyde has a reported slope factor of 0.021 kg of body weight per milligram of formaldehyde per day for cancer (http://oehha.ca.gov/risk/pdf/TCDBcas061809.pdf). Among persons with a body weight of 70 kg, the incremental lifetime cancer risk associated with long-term cigarette smoking at 1 pack per day may then be estimated at 9×10−4. If we assume that inhaling formaldehyde-releasing agents carries the same risk per unit of formaldehyde as the risk associated with inhaling gaseous formaldehyde, then long-term vaping is associated with an incremental lifetime cancer risk of 4.2×10−3. This risk is 5 times as high (as compared with the risk based on the calculation of Miyake and Shibamoto shown in Figure 1), or even 15 times as high (as compared with the risk based on the calculation of Counts et al. shown in Figure 1) as the risk associated with long-term smoking. In addition, formaldehyde-releasing agents may deposit more efficiently in the respiratory tract than gaseous formaldehyde, and so they could carry a higher slope factor for cancer.

My opinion hasn't much changed...if it helps you quit smoking then great! But I certainly wouldn't pick up a habit I don't currently have. Again my opinion.

Last edited by ernie; 03-31-2015 at 11:45 AM.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ernie For This Useful Post: