View Single Post
Old 08-11-2023, 10:14 AM   #81
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
A Statement of Claim is not like the notices your ISP sends you. It means the content owner got your info from the ISP and they will take you to court if you don't pay up. Ignoring it will mean a judgement against you.

I believe Troutman when he says they get calls about them regularly. They're common enough that I wouldn't pirate without precautions, or at all if I wasn't technically savvy.

As for the ethics of pirating, I actually enjoy supporting creators, especially small, independent ones. I pirate stuff I can't buy legally or have bought legally that I want to enjoy in a different format, or all in one place (Plex).

The steaming companies suck, but not paying them means they don't pay the actual content creators. The SAG and WGA strikes show you they already do that enough. So pirate if you need to, but don't bitch that there isn't much out there to watch.
Thanks for clarifying, I'll admit I didn't know exactly what a statement of claim was. That said, if troutman, who I presume is a legal professional, only gets a couple of calls per month regarding them I can't imagine that will put many would-be pirates off.

I don't even bother with a VPN. I've paid for, on average, probably two streaming services per month for the last eight or so years. I rent a couple of films per year on youtube, I still go to the cinema occasionally.

If a big studio wants to come for me through the courts, I guess it wouldn't be undeserved, but I think I'm ok ethically.