View Single Post
Old 07-11-2016, 12:58 PM   #97
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
It depends on the dog. Puppies, yeah, not a good idea unless someone is home. People also get dog walkers to come in through the day.

My two are older, so they like to take it easy and relax when I'm at work and they have each other for company. But your lifestyle changes. I go home right after work every day. For people who work long days, then want to go out in the evenings or have drinks/dinner before going home, a dog is probably not the best idea at that stage.
I was reading that a good way to teach dogs to feel comfortable and help curb separation anxiety is to get them used to their crate and pen by getting them in there for a few seconds and gradually increasing time over time and making a game of it. Eventually going out for very short periods etc. Putting in their favorite toys so they feel comfortable and confident and to keep them occupied. But like all training it takes effort and time. Also getting them to go into their crate then closing the door briefly and reopening it to let them out after a short period to show them it's OK - placing in treats etc. Not sure your thoughts.

Our dog has been sleeping nicely in her crate. But we keep her crate's door open and it's inside a larger pen. She's only in there for naps and bed time. Sleeps mostly through the night but like clockwork is up at about 2am for a toilet break outside. Then up again just before 6am.
Drak is offline   Reply With Quote