View Single Post
Old 07-09-2016, 12:02 PM   #90
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
Thought this would be a good place to ask,

What's the best way to get a new puppy, a golden retriever specifically? You've got breeders with their own websites, humane societies and animal rescue, people on kijiji, etc. I would be a first time dog owner.
If you need a purebred, go to a registered breeder. You likely won't be able to call them up and get a puppy. Good breeders, who test genetics of their breeding stock, do health checks on the puppies, etc. usually have waiting lists. However, if this is the kind of dog you want, it definitely is the way to do it. A breeder who doesn't have the papers for the puppies is a huge red flag!!!

However, if you don't plan to show the dog, there is no reason that most people need a purebred for a family pet. Is there a specific reason you want a puppy? I would actually recommend an older dog (1-3) for someone without much experience. They can wait longer to go to the bathroom, are easier to train, and the crazy puppy days are over. If the dog comes from a rescue that uses foster homes versus a shelter, you can find out a lot about the dog's personality before adopting. I have raised a puppy and fostered many adult dogs. The most challenging foster dog was easier than the puppy - and she was a good puppy!

If you do go with a puppy, find a good trainer or an experienced friend you can go to for advice. When I got my first puppy, I trained her myself but had a friend who was very experienced (family bred dogs) to give me advice.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post: