View Single Post
Old 03-22-2011, 01:00 PM   #6
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Buy the Navigon app for your iPhone. It's only ~$60 and is way better than a cheap Garmin (I have a cheap Garmin). Mind you, I've only used it within Calgary so I can't comment on its effectiveness outside of the city.
Keep in mind that a cell phone does not actually use GPS satellites; it triangulates your position based on cell towers. So where there is poor or no cell coverage; your GPS will not work.

Add to that the OP is talking about using this in the States; which means potential roaming charges for data use. I just turned on the map feature of my phone and pretended to drive 5 km; I used just over 1 MB of data. A good chunk will be the maps- but there is still going to be some back and forth communication.

The biggest things I have found is spoken street names, and current maps. Also use it in Calgary on routes you know so you can get used to how it gives directions. We used one in LA that would tell us on the freeway to "keep left", so I would make my way to the left lanes of an 8 lane road. Then it tells me to take the next exit (right) in 100 metres. What it meant was "don't accidentally take the exit that is right beside you."
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote