View Single Post
Old 07-26-2014, 10:28 PM   #16
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

I call BS on the complainant's "reasons":

Quote:
Catherine, who asked to use only her first name, said she sought invitro fertilization at the Regional Fertility Program last March as a single woman. During routine consultations with her doctor she was told she could only use sperm from donors who were white, like her.

“I would ask you, why would you not choose somebody of your own cultural background?”

Catherine said there are many reasons. By the time she narrowed down her pool of potential donors to those who met Canadian standards, had a good health history and a compatible blood type, she was left with only 20 or so Caucasian candidates to choose from. Many of them had already been used by several other patients in Calgary.

“Frankly, it’s appalling how many people have the same donors, probably because of this policy,” she said. “A friend of mine just went through this process and used the donor that I would have picked.”

Looking at other ethnicities significantly increased her options. While many people do want children who will look like them, she said she is less concerned with the colour of her potential child’s skin than the demeanour, personality and health history it might inherit from its biological father.
She has 20 potential candidates -- the fact that her "friend" picked the same donor... well, aren't there still 19 others still remaining? Why do you need to expand your list of donors -- at the end of the day, don't you only need one?

I note that the policy has already been upheld by Alberta Human Rights Commission:

Quote:
The Alberta Human Rights Commission upheld the policy after a white couple brought a complaint against the clinic about five years ago, Greene said.
They were not infertile but had hoped to use non-Caucasian sperm. “Our psychologist evaluated them and really didn’t see why a couple that is not infertile should be choosing sperm donors they have no cultural relationship with.”
Last quote:

Quote:
“I think I’ve come to terms and accepted that having children in your life doesn’t necessarily mean ownership of one.”
Really, really bad choice of words here... not sure if it was taken out of context, but "ownership"? Really? It's a kid, not a handbag or a pair of shoes lady...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote