View Single Post
Old 08-27-2013, 08:19 PM   #84
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
I'm really confused as to how giveaways / takeaways plays into grit. I really don't see the connection. Was Yelle a takeaway machine? I can't really remember.

The fact is you're using subjective statistics to confirm a subjective bias. With that said, I would try something like taking a random list of players, maybe 10% of the league over 4 years, and then I would give each of them a subjective gritty rank. Then I would create a table consisting of each of those players gritty score and every single variable that I thought contributed to grittiness. Then I would run a multiple regression model and refine it until it provided a statistically significant result with an acceptable correlation. Then I would use the model to predict the gritty score of all other players in the league. Then I would try to correlate a team's aggregate gritty score to its winning percentage. Then maybe I would be comfortable at least sharing my findings, even if it's total bunk. I might be using subjective data to predict a completely subjective target value to predict an actual value like winning percentage, but at least I would have put a modicum of thought into it, and not just said that A plus B plus C = RGI therefore soft teams don't win.
Go for it.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote