View Single Post
Old 10-16-2016, 04:20 PM   #73
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
So are the Flames playing man on man in the D-zone? Box+1, Overload? Collapse?

What's their forecheck? 1-2-2, 2-1-2, 1-4, 2-3?

Does anyone really know for sure the strategy they are using? It seems like only an experienced high level coach would have any kind of read on this stuff. It's too hard for normal fans to get info on the specifics.

I want to say the Flames were playing man on man, or an overload against the Oilers in their own zone, but I'm not entirely sure. It seemed like they were very aggressive in the corners looking to pin, and win board battles. I think a collapsing defence like Hartley's works best against the Oilers because they can't generate any offence from their defence.

I have to admit that systems play is pretty hard for me to pick up on when watching the game. For one thing, I think basically all teams use the same systems, and use combinations of all systems during the same game, and sometimes on the same shift.

I mean pretty much every NHL team will dump the puck if they are tired at the end of the shift, and this almost always results in a 1-4 (Trap) forecheck. Most teams use this when trying to hold a lead as well.

Watching on TV adds difficulty to trying to see systems play as you only get to view where the puck is headed, and not all of the players on the ice.

Then you have different players utilizing different tactics. The Flames were obviously looking to use a stretch pass breakout to Johnny when he was on the ice against the Oilers, but obviously Bouma is going to be riding the pine if he was continually using that same tactic.

All in all, when it comes to systems play it seems like there are always a lot of questions and not many answers. I wish the media would do a better job of asking these questions, and sharing this info with the fans.
No one on this board has any clue what 'system' gulutzan is using.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post: