View Single Post
Old 04-13-2017, 03:08 PM   #1675
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
MagCan? Gainers? Swan Hills? Those are some of the failures (and thus reported).

Right now there's the Sturgeon Refinery.
Thanks. I still don't really see how what EE's point is, though? Murray's already getting plenty of gov't money? The government has made plenty of mistakes with public money in the past, so it's okay to go for another? Another current example seems to be True North, which is another boondoggle.

Sturgeon sounds interesting:
Quote:
In June 2014, six months after the refinery‘s cost estimate was bumped from $5.7 billion to $8.5 billion, Alberta’s then-Progressive Conservative government revealed processing fees would be an estimated $26 billion over the 30-year agreement, up from the previous estimate of $19 billion.

The NDP government, like the previous Conservative government, says that over the life of the agreement, Alberta can expect to earn a profit of between $200 million and $700 million by selling higher-priced refined products instead of bitumen.
I'm sure it's not a slam dunk guarantee, but there are actual, tangible, realistic ROI that can be measured. 30 years from now we'll know whether it was a good investment or not. 30 years from now, we'll have no idea how a new arena actually impacted the local economy, and we'll probably be talking about building another one.

I've said all along that I'm plenty happy for public money to go if the Flames care to give up a equity (ie. an actual two-way partnership). The city owning the building is a liability, not a benefit.