Thread: Raspberry Pi
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2016, 07:55 AM   #55
ericschand
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
From the photos I have seen of side by side comparing the Pi 3 and Pi 2, it looks like Pi 2 heatsinks should work for the Pi 3.

The guy who built the custom heatsink shown in the link says he used a 15x15mm heatsink and 16x16mm fan and some shrinkwrap if that helps
I've been reading that heat issues might be overblown. I've run it and didn't see any major heat issues. In general use it hit about 56C, well below problem temperatures. It is enclosed in the official RPi3 case during this, oddly there are no vents.

Also using it as a HTPC. Stream from my NAS and also stream OTA from a TV server. For the latter you will want to purchase the MPEG2 license for 2 British Pounds (about $4.50CDN). Works great! Don't forget to change your config.txt to amd_freq=1200 otherwise it defaults to 900. raspi-config does not do the change for you.

As a quick comparison between the RPi2 and RPi3, you can definitely tell the RPi3 is faster, much faster. The "feel" of it even as you move around a desktop gui is much more quick. Inside Kodi, changing channels happens a bit quicker as well. I haven't done any actual speed tests.

Also the microSD card is not spring loaded like it was in the RPi2. So if you get a case you want to make sure you can access the card without having to pull the case apart. My RPi2 case wouldn't allow this but the new case does.

ers

Last edited by ericschand; 03-11-2016 at 07:57 AM. Reason: added info
ericschand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ericschand For This Useful Post: