View Single Post
Old 04-26-2017, 08:25 AM   #344
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
He should be brought back for sure, however I don't really want the team to go long term - 2 years would be ideal in my opinion. As it stands now he has improved the depth and competitiveness of the team but has also made some key errors along the way, which should be expected of a rookie GM.

The fact he has been unable to address the goalie situation long-term thus far, combined with a few questionable free agency signings is troublesome. I also want to see how he and his staff handles drafting well outside the top 5-6 picks this year. If he can clean up his next year or two on the job, I'd be behind the Flames bringing him back on a longer deal at that time.
I would actually like him on-board for long-term. I've liked what he's done so far quite a bit, and I think having some stability upstairs allows a GM to think long-term. He is the kind of guy that can do great things for the long-term.

We're seeing the effects of it now, but look at what Alex Anthopoulos did to the Jays. There's a few examples of it each year I feel, but AA was the most blatant example of a GM making big splashes now to try and stamp his tenure with success. If he had another 5 years on his contract he'd likely have avoided emptying the cupboards.