View Single Post
Old 05-28-2017, 12:21 AM   #1332
jeffh
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnin_vernon View Post
I'm house shopping and found one that needs updating but the tiny , cramped kitchen is my main concern. I have no home-renovation knowledge and wanted to know if it's conceivable to rip out the kitchen wall and expand the kitchen into the dining/living room area for an open concept/great room kind of thing. Maybe knock out the wall at the top of the stairs too?

Even then, what would something like that roughly cost to have done?

Spoiler!
I'm not sure on cost. But what I'd suggest doing is moving the fridge to where the rear man-door is. Replacing the big window beside the rear man-door with a sliding door. Remove the wall where the old fridge backs into. Maintain general shape of kitchen, yet have the section where the fridge was, pushed to align with the dining room window(edit re-looking at the pics, I don't know how well that'd work with the tall narrow window). Full kitchen gut and replace to full height cabinets and new countertops, while maintaining locarions of dw, sink and stove/hood. I don't think that wall is weight bearing. Also, I'd enlarge the 'kitchen closet' into some sorta neo-angle food pantry, with a regular door.

Last edited by jeffh; 05-28-2017 at 12:25 AM.
jeffh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffh For This Useful Post: