View Single Post
Old 04-25-2010, 08:05 PM   #1
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Residential Bylaw Issue (Vehicles/Parking)

I'm running into a bit of a situation here and just wanted some advice/comments. This is my first home so I'm not used to these types of issues.

Anyways, three weeks ago (the first weekend of April) I'm about to drive to my girlfriend's house so she can drop me off to the airport for a Vegas trip. When I get outside I see that there is a tow truck parked along my driveway, preventing me from leaving, and it's dropping a large snow shovel (the type you attach to the front of a truck) on their driveway. I asked him why he was doing this and told him to leave and he refused and said the neighbour told him to do so. I confronted the neighbour and he just laughed at me and resorted to calling me names.

So after everything is said and done the tow truck dropped of a truck as well as this snow plowing blade. The truck is actually broken down, it has no hood, it has no front bumper/fender, and is rusting like there's no tomorrow.

I called the bylaw unit and made a complaint (April 4th) but nothing has really happened. The bylaw officer, who didn't seem happy when I talked to him, said he gave them notice and they will move their truck. This has yet to happen and it doesn't look like the home owners aren't making an effort to even fix the truck or move it. To add to the drama they've now parked a blue van (GMC Safari) along the road, directly behind the truck and snow blade so if the city were to try and tow the truck this van would be in the way. They parked it there on Friday and it hasn't moved since. It also has a flat right tire so I doubt it'll be moved any time soon.

These neighbours have about four vehicles (two working ones and two broken down ones) and it's turned into a parking lot around my house. Is there anything else I can do? Does the city actually aggressively enforce the bylaws? I don't want to talk to the neighbour because he's already made it known (through his comments) that he think I'm a certain type of person and doesn't even want to talk to me.

As a side note, he doesn't like me very much because he asked me to pay for a fence he put up. Well, he didn't really ask me. He dug holes, put posts in, bought all the supplies, hired a contractor, and then told me I have to pay for it. Since I refused to (as I never had any input on it whatsoever) he wasn't too happy. That's why I think he let the tow truck park on my property. My only worry is that because he has absolutely no respect for my property I'm worried what he/they might do in the future.

Any comments or advice would be great!
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote