View Single Post
Old 08-07-2011, 06:23 PM   #9
drewboy12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJ View Post
I was only there for 2 weeks during spring break. I would have liked to stay longer. Part of that expense (depending where you wanted to go) was probably for language lessons. I took Spanish in uni so I was okay but the other travelers really found the lessons to be great. Call it ~$70 a day if you use the $4000 for 8 weeks. That includes accommodation, food, language lessons and travel to your volunteer site. I agree, that does seem a bit expensive b/c everything in Peru was super cheap compared to Canada so 70 CAD does seem expensive. Tack on your airfare and your bank account will be hurting.

Have you considered volunteering up in the arctic? From what I hear, people who have been there couldn't believe that parts of Canada were in 3rd world conditions. Travel could be cheaper and there may be govn't programs that may subsidize your time there.
Hmmm I would like to leave the winter/cold conditions...

The more I think about it, I think it would be quite easy to raise the funds to go overseas and volunteer. So many people want to "do their part"... Which is donate money, and feel good about them selves...

A friend of mine and his wife personally sponsored a village in Africa years ago, which peeked my interest in doing this. It was the soccer ball made of banana leafs that they brought back for me that the children made me for donating money to them, which really made me want to do something personally.

Then a couple weeks ago, I met a girl working in the Peace Core in Ghana... Her stories brought it all back, and what better way to spend part of my trip, then to actually get my hands dirty and help people.