View Single Post
Old 08-07-2011, 06:05 PM   #8
DrJ
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewboy12 View Post
Ya I checked this out earlier. Its very very expensive. $3000-$4000 range for 8 weeks. I don't understand this to volunteer. Id rather go somewhere and put $4000 into a community on my own.

However I am new to this, and am not sure if this is the best or worst way of doing this. I think I could raise enough money to pay for it, and could quite possibly find a sponsor as well, so I don't think I would have to pay out of pocket. But in the end its putting the money to better use, then paying a company.

for how long did you volunteer?
I was only there for 2 weeks during spring break. I would have liked to stay longer. Part of that expense (depending where you wanted to go) was probably for language lessons. I took Spanish in uni so I was okay but the other travelers really found the lessons to be great. Call it ~$70 a day if you use the $4000 for 8 weeks. That includes accommodation, food, language lessons and travel to your volunteer site. I agree, that does seem a bit expensive b/c everything in Peru was super cheap compared to Canada so 70 CAD does seem expensive. Tack on your airfare and your bank account will be hurting.

Have you considered volunteering up in the arctic? From what I hear, people who have been there couldn't believe that parts of Canada were in 3rd world conditions. Travel could be cheaper and there may be govn't programs that may subsidize your time there.
DrJ is offline   Reply With Quote