View Single Post
Old 03-04-2014, 06:07 PM   #439
LiquidX
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The Flames remained a playoff team for four years after making the final and were in the hunt down to the wire for another three. The Canucks are tearing things down two years after making the final but the Flames really never crashed and burned this fast. They just gradually eroded staying good enough to make or just miss the playoffs. Gillis with his sloppy handling of the goaltender situation and inability to find a top forward to supplement what he inherited really sent the franchise into a spiral.
As much as I agree that the canucks are terribly managed, etc - I think if the flames had started selling off pieces 2 yrs after the finals, we would be in a much better spot right now. Assessing who you would move at that point is a different story though. I think it's a much more difficult balancing act than you're making it out to be here. Plus with deep drafts speculated over the next few years, they should be in line for some much better picks (and likely a quicker turnaround) than most teams that explore rebuilding.

I'd expect the twins to be there until the end of time, but I'd suppose it is possible to move them too if enough salary is retained. (not suggesting this in particular is good management practice).