View Single Post
Old 04-03-2017, 06:25 AM   #72
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edn88 View Post
Lexi Thompson just penalized 4 strokes for a rules violation from the previous day (she marked her ball and when she replaced it put it in a different position).

Another case of a viewer at home calling in (or emailing in) the rules violation.

I'm torn on the issue as it appears that she deliberately places the ball in a different position, but once the round is done it feels like even if there was cheating the round has to count as it was scored.

If I was the rest of the field and saw the video of what she did I'd be pissed that she tried to cheat (given the honor portion of golf).

The LPGA and PGA have to come up with a set of rules that deals with viewer call ins - or someone from the LPGA/PGA should review broadcast video as it goes out.

I don't think any other sport has this issue (can you imagine if you could call in a rules violation for a hockey game and get the score overturned?)
I don't really think there was anything intentional going on. I suspect she was just lining up the alignment mark on the ball.

She really didn't miss the spot by that much though. Are players really that exact in how they are marking and replacing the ball? Is there a threshold? Every time a player picks the ball up and marks it they are probably missing by at least half an inch. Is half an inch ok, but 3/4 an inch bad?

Allowing viewers to call in is pretty silly as well, since not all the players are on TV. It's like the NHL allowing replays but only having cameras at one end of the rink.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote