View Single Post
Old 01-12-2017, 12:32 PM   #225
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

My complaint is that they aren't necessarily doing a lot to develop Ross's decision-making. I used to think they were: they used to run this set play for him that involved getting a pin-down from JV to pop open for the 3; then they added a wrinkle to it of him curling back into the key after getting the pass; his man had to chase him hard around the pick because of the threat of the 3. If JV's man left him to cover Ross, Ross would dump off to JV who had already put the smaller defender on his back. It was a beautifully simple play (kinda like a read-option in football) that was perfect for where Ross was in his development, and he showed he could make the right read most of the times, when presented with a simple "if-then" type decision.

Now, he gets no set plays run for him anymore beyond ones that end with him taking a 3 or being an off-ball distraction to open up lanes for another player. And he's adequate in that regard, but I do feel like they've dropped the ball on developing him into anything more. And it's not like the play doesn't fit the offense anymore; they're still one of the most screen-heavy teams in the league with many good screeners. Doesn't matter that he's on the court with JV less; get Bebe to set the same screen.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote