View Single Post
Old 03-26-2012, 09:39 AM   #44
dhc-2
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I seem to have ruffled a few feathers.

I don't agree that my statement was narrow-minded. Perhaps it was worded as more of an attack than it should have been, I apologize to Jets4Life. Yes, what I wrote was a generalization. In my experience, the adults I know that are drug users are generally immature and unintelligent. Yes, I do know some adults that do partake and yet are intelligent, but that doesn't mean that their decision to do drugs isn't stupid. You'll be hard-pressed to convince me that it isn't. There is no advantage to doing drugs, even 'harmless' ones such as pot. They would be just as intelligent and productive if they did not do drugs.

My point was that if you work in a field where the expectation is that you refrain from drug use as a condition of employment, and you willfully jeopardize that by using drugs and you have to try to cheat or beat a drug test, then you've made a decision that's not very smart. Doesn't seem like one bong hit would be worth the hassle, really. Think of it this way, would you want your surgeon or lawyer or airline pilot to have the occasional toke? I wouldn't.

Hilch, I do not smoke (don't get me started on that idiocy...). I have the odd drink. Now the difference there is that those things are legal and refraining from them on my own time is not a condition of my employment. Alcohol, when moderately consumed, has health benefits. Yes, pot does have medicinal properties but the long-term effects of smoking pot are negative. Smoke damages lungs, THC negatively affects the brain. I smoked in my younger days, I've felt the effects first-hand, and I maintain that it was stupid and pointless. I can guarantee you I'm no more enlightened and my mind is no more expanded for having done it. Waste of money and brain cells. I really wish I had never touched the stuff.
dhc-2 is offline   Reply With Quote