View Single Post
Old 05-30-2016, 09:25 AM   #36
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
Just wanted to say I'll be putting my green bin in my black bin when I receive it. I wasn't asked if I wanted it and would have put it to much more use if I was given the choice to take a green bin cause it's good for the environment.

The most frustrating thing is that black cart pickup
will only be every second week and the cost on that will not be getting reduced or cut in half.

imo this is a money grab by the city.
I have lived in two cities - Halifax and Ottawa - that had green bins. My experiences:

Halifax: moved there and this was already operational. Thought it would be a pain; in fact it was the opposite. Barely any garbage; most stuff went into recycling and green bin. Put one of those metal buckets under the sink, and had zero problems. No smell etc.

Ottawa: moved when it was same state as here in Calgary - bringing them in, had just had a couple of areas trial it. Same issues as you quoted - garbage pick only twice a week, how will we survive?; stinky; animals will get in and eat everything and make a mess; etc etc. City overall grew to love it. Garbage went down significantly for most people. Animals got into it BUT to the same extent of what happened with people's garbage.

In sum? Having been skeptical of this, but having lived in 2 separate cites across canada that had it, it was a terrific experience.
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote