View Single Post
Old 04-20-2012, 07:04 PM   #26
Methanolic
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It's been approximately 6 weeks since I began participating in the Green Bin Pilot Project and I thought I'd chime back with my thoughts.

Well, I am very pleased and I think it's a great add on to our recycling and garbage system here in Calgary.

I have been using the "odorless" kitchen pail that I keep under my kitchen sink and I have no complaints. The odor issue is minimal and only slightly noticeable when opening the cabinet door and opening the pail when depositing food scraps. I have found that there is almost no odor when opening the cabinet door to get at the windex or comet or what ever I store under the kitchen sink. To be clear, I have scraped all kinds of food into this thing, from fish, meat, pasta, veggies, coffee grounds.. pretty much everything. I'm actually astounded as to how non offensive the odor is coming out of the kitchen pail as I figured this was going to be gross and not practical at all.

The Bin and the supplied giant "grocery" bags for yard waste have been awesome. I am now at the point where I have about 10% of my spring clean up left to do and I will fill the bin and a few bags this weekend and then I will be finished. I have put out the bin along with multiple bags on a few occasions and every time they were picked up. I half expected to see a notice with a 2 bag minimum or something like that as I thought I might be pushing it, but nothing as of yet. I did some pruning and a lot of raking last week and put out the bin along with five bags...no issues.

The fact that I have had my garbage (black bin) reduced to an every two week pick up has had no effect, in fact, I have not changed my kitchen garbage bag in about 3 weeks (gross, I know) so I think this green bin, along with the blue recycling bin is actually working quite well.

As I stated previously, I thought this might be a major pain but I committed to giving this a chance and I am ultimately very pleased with the experience and I think it's a good idea.

My only question would be; How many giant grocery bags do I get per year and when are they dropped off, ie spring? fall? ....because they get used up pretty quickly with yard clean up.

Green Bin: two thumbs up!
Methanolic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Methanolic For This Useful Post: