View Single Post
Old 04-27-2012, 02:08 PM   #10
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

That's great stuff.

I used to teach in a school primarily for kids with attention and learning disability issues. A good majority of the students were on the autistic spectrum.

Peer bonding through these things is absolutely essential to these children learning to adapt and understand their behaviour, emotions and community around them.

It's also imperative in my view, that students in the classroom who are not acting out or have learning difficulties etc, be exposed to this early on in a non-judgemental environment. The older boy in this scenario may have learned what he passed on by himself, from someone else, or it may have just been a part of his development, but having him integrated in the classroom necessitated he learn this coping mechanism. Segregating these children doesn't benefit anyone in the class in my view.

I liken it to a noisy, whiny puppy. Take a dog home by themselves as a puppy, they are acting out all over the place. Take a puppy home in a house with another dog, they pick things up FAR quicker.

A big part of my job there was working with the most disruptive kids. It's a delicate balance, but I would often employ the 'buddy system' when dealing with particularly aggressive or emotional outbursts/issues. Kids with Asbergers/Autism will sometimes do a kind of twin talk that teachers or adults may not perceive or understand how to steer.

Some kids, on the other hand, simply test the boundaries as part of their routine. Unfortunately, I think many teachers/administrators take this personally. Again, like a puppy, if you don't take it personally when a kid loses his mind on you (or a puppy bites you too hard), you'll both get through the outburst faster.

I think AFC Wilmbledon works in a similar field, he might have a different take.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post: