View Single Post
Old 05-18-2017, 03:16 AM   #6496
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I don't think there is a chance that McDavid will remain unsigned long enough to sign an offer sheet. The max ask is interesting, however. There should be some pressure on him to start off with the max. If not him, then who in the league?

I do think he ends up around ~100 million for 8 years or so. Pricey, but pretty fair.

Draisaitl will be the more interesting number. I also like to think he ends up around 7.5, but depending on how long that contract ends up, it might be pushed into the 8.5 range. I would anticipate that the Oilers would want to lock-up their 1-2 punch for the full 8 years.

Either way, neither of those contracts will really hurt them. It does make things tighter, so they have to find a way to unload Eberle and RNH, and that Lucic contract will start becoming a real issue. Edmonton is probably the most intriguing team to follow with respect to contracts.

As have been mentioned, there really is some animosity towards Edmonton with respect to offer-sheets, and they are perceived as the team that eliminated those 2nd contracts. I just think that no player of note off their roster will remain unsigned long enough to become eligible to sign an offer sheet. I do think that other teams - especially within the division - will use that tactic to help drive up the pay-roll. 4 first overalls, generational player... pretty sure there will be some teams that not only want an ounce of flesh for how lucky the Oilers were, but also want to make sure they have a tougher time building a team. We already saw it a few years ago when San Jose signed Hjalmarsson to one for exactly that purpose.

I just can't think of anyone that the Oilers would leave exposed to that situation of note. Luckily, they have done enough of that with their own signings
I would say another potential offer sheet guy next summer if they do not get him done this summer is Nurse. I would offer him a potential 3 year deal and give up a 2nd round pick. 10.5 million over 3 years.

I do think there will be pressure on McDavid to sign for max dollars. Not sure if bobby orr cares, but there will be pressure.