View Single Post
Old 09-04-2013, 09:23 PM   #70
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Shot Wide View Post
As much as I like Burke and feel he would be valuable to the franchise, it kind of saddens me that Feaster may get canned when he's had a great draft/off-season so far. Him and Weisbrod performed admirably in restocking the prospect cupboard and I wish him well in the future.
Feaster isn't getting canned to make room for the Flames to add Brian Burke. If he is they would have canned him right at the end of the season. Why let him do all that work this summer? Also, it only looks like Feaster has done a good job. The only job that he has done well is make moves that excite a broad part of the fan base. We won't know for a couple of years how good of a job Feaster really did (although I'm pretty optimistic about it). He certainly did make the prospect cupboard look good again.

Back to Feaster's role with the Flames. We don't know what role Burke would be in. Is Burke the new GM? Then perhaps Feaster is the team president. That would make sense if you take into account the word on the street about Burke wanting to be a GM. But King is the president? Well the rumor is he'll be the CEO of the Flames Entertainment group, and he'll oversee the new arena project and the Presidents of the Flames, Stampeders, Hitmen and Roughnecks will report to Ken King.

Maybe it is the other way around and Burke is the new president while King steps into the CEO role and Feaster stays GM... this would put Feaster on a tight leash as Burke would likely be itching to take over the reigns if he doesn't like what he sees. Putting the successor in place before a person is fired appears to be a move that the Flames like to do. Allegedly Darryl Sutter came to Calgary with the promise that he would have the GM role (note that this was rumor and speculation). Then Feaster came to Calgary to be assistant GM during a time when people were becoming very impatient with the Flames lack of playoff success and people were souring on the whole "In Sutter We Trust" train of thought that was prevalent.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post: