View Single Post
Old 08-20-2015, 12:04 PM   #100
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Very interesting thread indeed.

I use to love what I do but it has changed so much in 20 years. Started in radio and TV and it was great. Now I'm management in post and it sucks donkey balls. There are so many simple minded, egotistical, self righteous aholes in this industry it is mind bottling. Movie and tv production are also the cheapest big money spenders around. They waste so much money but won't spend money on quality cameras, post work flows etc that actually make your film better. Your apartment and trailer are far more important than what you actually put out into the world....

Over the years I just find myself caring less and less. I show up for work late and leave earlier. Some days I don't even show up at all. Everything I do is BS to support a BS industry. Every now and then we do something cool but it is few and far between.

Supporting the Canucks broadcasts and events was fun at first as well but now I only show up as it's an easy few hundred bucks to make. That place is so poorly run and mismanaged it is nuts to think they are a professional franchise. Some of it can fun but that's the non hockey related stuff, interviews, productions, big stage shows but that is becoming less and less as well.

I have wanted out of both for a year or so now but the money is good and I have great flexibility. But now my wife is transitioning to working as a crafty as opposed to for the craftys so it is a great opportunity for her. Part of the union, on set, very good money but long days. So now I feel like we have to stay here and allow her to do her thing, she's moved for my career in the past so it is only fair. Like others I think about getting into construction or a more manually, hands on type of work. I want that feeling of accomplishment back but I feel the almighty dollar is till to important. Want a nice house for the kids, give them things I never had when I was young. I'm not yet 40 but feel to old to start over....
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote