View Single Post
Old 08-20-2015, 10:17 AM   #84
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Got my Bachelors in Supply Chain 2 years ago. Love that area of business and there is seriously an unlimited amount of work in almost any industry you can think of so I have zero regrets in my choice of degree (although I would be lying if I say I didn't regret trying harder in High School to give myself more options).

Currently, I'm at my 4th full time job. My 1st one was a job I got half way through my degree, I took a year off and worked in logistics. I loved that job besides the pay. I was spoiled there with how fun an office can be and didn't know how good I had it. You'd always here about how awesome O & G was and how much money people were making in that world so I definitely wanted in.

Then I went back to school and finished my degree and got a student job at MEG Energy. That job was quite the eye opener into the O&G life and the main reason why I argued so much in the layoff thread about how much overhead there was to shave off in O&G. It was the life. We all had our own offices, nice, loaded kitchens on every floor, every month there was a paid for party, even the bigger meetings were catered and served alcohol. It was insane. It really showed me that the rumors about O & G were true at the time (2012). The huge downside of that job was that I had zero work. I don't even know why they hired me. I'd have maybe half an hour of work in an 8 hour day and they didn't even have any more work to give me. That, combined with looming layoffs in the SCM department that happened to coincide with my contract expiring led me to quitting that job and doing the mandatory "finished my degree, time to go to europe" vacation. Once I got back I got a job in logistics again which was great, except for the lack of potential to grow. I had a lot of autonomy and although I didn't technically have direct reports, my word was pretty much final. It was a good feeling but, again, I didn't see much of a future there, at least not for a very, very, long time so I was actively looking for something else.

Well I'm currently sitting at something else. I got a job in downstream as an analyst for the supply department. I don't mind it outside of our poor, unsupported systems which means I spend more time attempting to fix SQL queries (I took zero programming or computer training in school) then I do actually being an analyst and supporting our team. When I do get to create new reports and figure out how to give our Ops team the analysis they need, I actually do enjoy it and it's making my excel knowledge sky rocket. I used to think I was advanced cause I knew how to do vlookups and I knew what an if statement was! I would still say I definitely prefer being in the operations side of things though but the good news is, I've actively been talking with my manager about how I want to get into the ops side of the business and it looks like I'm being groomed for the move. I know a lot of managers might just say that but I think he's being honest. The company is great, the office is good and even the money is decent (pretty much where I expected to be 2 and a bit years out of graduating and my "minimum goal" per se. Able to afford to own my own place and live on my own). Once the IT aspect of my life goes away (and it is) then I might actually really like this job, conversely I'd love to work in operations for this company as well...

So long story short, I love the degree I took and the field I chose to work in, I really like the company I work for and want to be a part of it long term and I am okay with my current job but a lot of it is SQL and Excel stress (which is going away) which takes some of the luster out of it. Ideally I'd like to work in logistics for this company.

Medium term goal is to eventually start my own trucking company but I want to lay a solid foundation for everything else before jumping in to that with both feet.

</cool story bro>

(At least all the SQL queries I'm forced to trail and error gives me plenty of time to post on here and annoy the s*** out of you guys )

Last edited by polak; 08-20-2015 at 10:28 AM.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote