View Single Post
Old 06-17-2017, 08:42 PM   #108
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Or until they are lost on waivers. None of them appears to have significant trade value at this point, so Vegas would have to find room for them on their 23-man roster or risk losing them for nothing.

And costs $13.5 million over that time, while performing (so far) like a replacement-level player.

There's a reason why so many Flames fans are praying that Vegas is dumb enough to take Brouwer off our hands.

Why is it an advantage to lose Kulak and Stajan in order to keep Poirier? At the moment, we are hoping Poirier recovers from his problems sufficiently that he doesn't turn out a total bust. But it's just that, a hope. He hasn't proved a thing yet.

He'd have to be even dumber to waste an expansion pick AND $13.5 million on Brouwer.

Poirier is a complete question mark, and therefore unlikely to be worth using an expansion pick on.

Kulak is an AHL defenceman at this point, who showed last season that he was not up to a regular NHL job yet, and since he is now waiver-eligible, his trade value is basically zero. Vegas will have dozens of bona fide #4-6 NHL defencemen to choose from, and only so many roster spots for them. I don't see the value in Kulak either as a roster player or as trade material.

Vegas might want Shinkaruk, but he, too, is waiver-eligible and has proved very little at the NHL level. If they are sufficiently hard up for offence from the wing, they may take him as a roster player, but they won't be taking him as trade bait.

Everything depends on what the other 29 exposed lists look like. Centre is liable to be the hardest position to fill, since most teams will be protecting seven forwards and will naturally tend to prefer players at the more valuable position. McPhee is likely to find plenty of options on the wing, but not nearly as much at centre – and I very much doubt he is going to have free agents or KHLers centring all four lines in October.

Stajan may be garbage from McPhee's point of view, but at least that piece of garbage is the same shape as a hole that needs to be filled. That alone puts him one step ahead of the rest of the Flames' garbage.
I can't tell you what McPhee will do per say, but chances are they're taking a lot of defensemen, some of which they will trade for centreman or picks. I think by the time they've traded away a lot of the assets they required through expansion for futures, they'll likely turn to free agency and young promising guys to fill out their roster.

And think about it man, if Poirer doesn't make the WORST roster in the league made up from the scraps of the league, then who is so bad they will claim him and clog their roster with him?
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote