View Single Post
Old 01-27-2016, 02:13 PM   #53
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynastyEra View Post
I can't remember where I read it but someone had a pretty good solution to teams packing it in once they are on the outside looking in..

The team with the best record AFTER being mathematically eliminated gets the best chance to win the pick. That gives the worst teams more time to accumulate points, and the order is determined by the non-playoff teams records. It's not so much that these teams suck, they just give up, its hard to motivate the locker room when you're planning your summer holidays on the bench between shifts.

So doing it this way gives the team new life, gives the fans some entertaining hockey, and essentially you're playing for the 1st overall. Sort of a game within the game. It's good for everyone. Injects some pride into "winning" the pick. "We earned it"

Obviously the flaw is in that if a team has an awful record during that period, shouldn't they truly NEED the 1st overall? Well, teams suck for a lot of reasons not related to roster parts. In today's game, any team has the roster to compete for the cup. I just think its the best way to get out of the "tanking" mentality. Hockey is a product after all, who the hell would spend hundreds of dollars for the 81st game in the season?
Would you go see that same game if it was to see your team win Auston Matthews?

I may be missing details but I really liked this idea, or any variation with minor detail changes.
The NHL has made a bunch of bad changes to the draft lottery lately IMO. I'm not sure why making the top 3 picks all up to lottery got a stamp of approval. Puts randomness and luck into the equation and has the potential to crush an awful team. You could be historically, sub 50 points bad and get 4th overall. The difference between Ovechkin and Ladd. Crosby and Pouliot.