Thread: 2016 Formula 1
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2016, 12:59 PM   #30
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I was against it at first (as in when it ended) and figured a change back immediately was required but Force India had an excellent point.

Q1 was the most interesting we've seen in quite some time. Q2 was meh and Q3 was awful. Why abandon it totally when it was only somewhat a failure? I loved Q1. I thought it was very exciting. Screw the Sky Sports guys who said clock watching is boring. I liked the pressure and unpredictability. It was the lack of unpredictability and the lack of second chances that ruined Q2 and Q3.

I don't know what exactly would work but how about any of the following:

Make the elimination time longer or the sessions longer so that teams can do an out lap, flying lap and in lap and change tyres/refuel as needed. Elimination didn't work because teams didn't have enough time. The 90s clock was pointless because they didn't factor in the amount of time it takes to run a fast lap and the fact that tyres are only good for a single lap.

Perhaps they need to do away with having multiple sessions altogether. Or change formats for each session. Make Q1 elimination and Q2/Q3 the old way. Or like i said before just adjust the elimination clock or the session time.

Another option would be to mandate fuel loads or tyre usage. This is less desireable because it encourages teams to clog up the track at low speeds to meet the mandated levels.

The problem is that they need a way to encourage teams to stay out and keep trying to set new times. Right now the fuel loads and tyres mean that you only have one lap to set a time and then no matter how good the driver does, his fuel load and tyres won't sustain a second lap. And if you don't set the fastest lap it takes probably 5 mins if not more to finish the in lap, get new tyres, refuel and do an out lap.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 03-24-2016 at 01:03 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote