Thread: Music of 2017
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2017, 01:18 PM   #77
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
I thought California was about four songs too long. I found myself either blown away or as you said, just bored. Giving the album a full listen seemed like a chore after a while.

That said, yet another new song from the deluxe edition (which is shaping up to be pretty great so far):

Agree with this. I figured it was ridiculously hard to start over with a new member like that, especially in a band like Blink 182.

Tom Delonge has both a very unique voice AND unique guitar style that both contributed heavily to the success of Blink 182 over the years. To come in and be the guy to try and replace that and also make it your own must have been incredibly intimidating for all three members of the band.

So I gave them a pass on throwing probably four songs that wouldn't have made past records as they were eager to get an album out there while fans and critics were probably a little cynical that they could swing at the same level they did with Tom. There were numerous songs that proved that not only they could, but that they had a completely new chemistry and identity as a band that will produce the results long time fans have come to love.

I would imagine the fact that songs are being added to a deluxe edition that are better than songs in the original album is a testament to how powerful and comfortable they're getting together as time passes. Makes me really excited for their next full album.

Sure beats the later years of Tom where all we had to look forward to most years from media reports was "Looks like Blink 182 is stalling on promised new material again, maybe late next year at this point".

Last edited by jayswin; 04-02-2017 at 01:22 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote