View Single Post
Old 03-04-2015, 02:30 PM   #3467
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sigh... Airwolf!

Quote:
The H160 is Airbus Helicopters’ €1 billion ($1.12 billion) gamble to try to retake a firm hold on a market long monopolized by AgustaWestland. But while the aircraft’s sleek design harks back to the AS365 Dauphin, which the H160 ultimately will replace, it is also supposed to represent a substantial change in direction for Airbus Helicopters, with new development processes and production techniques benchmarked against those of its colleagues building airliners down the road in Toulouse.

Airbus Helicopters will pitch the H160 into the medium helicopter market, one currently dominated by AgustaWestland’s AW139 and to a lesser extent the Sikorsky S-76 and Bell 412. Airbus wants the H160 to appeal to the oil and gas support mission, search-and-rescue (SAR) operators, the emergency medical service community, and corporate and VIP transport customers.

The H160 will be able to carry 12 passengers to an oil platform 120 nm offshore, complete a missed approach and return to land on the same tank of fuel. Cruise speed will be around 160 kt and maximum takeoff weight will be 5.5-6 metric tons. However, the company believes it can do all of this with a 1-ton lighter empty weight than the AW139 and improve fuel economy and direct operating costs by 15-20%.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post: