View Single Post
Old 08-28-2015, 02:45 PM   #60
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Hum, lease or buy? I think it all depends on your personal situation. I'm retired and don't drive enough to consider $500 + monthly payments for either option as good use of my money. I own a 12 year old Escape with 140,000 kilometers on it and it still runs and looks fine. The other month I spent $250 to have it detailed and it looked like new. Yeah, I don't have a built in wi-fi, etc. but I can do without that as I'm just happy to have air conditioning and power windows and 4x4. Unless some great deal comes along or it suddenly falls apart, I'll probably drive it until it dies. I've owned a few new vehicles but mostly I buy used and run them until they die. I don't like payments and and find it amusing that most people take it as just a part of life.
I drive a 2006 Ford Escape that I bought used. It has 147,000 kms on it and other than brakes, tires, and regular fluid changes there has been no problems. I do my best to take care of the vehicles I own and tend to put close 300,000 kms on them.

I research every vehicle I buy to see how reliable the tranny and engine for any particular model i'm interested in. It's a depreciating asset and if i'm going to drive it at least 10 years i want to minimise any major repair costs.

My Escape

Spoiler!

Last edited by Dion; 08-28-2015 at 05:08 PM.
Dion is offline   Reply With Quote