View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 08:38 AM   #13
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hard to get excited when they're years out, but here's my general opinion:

1) Jon Gillies. Big man, good fundamentals. I've liked him before he was drafted (had him pegged as a player I'd love to take in the top 60. 75 for the Flames was a steal in my mind). Just needs to develop some more effective puck control, but it's looking better through his games at Providence. Flames have a great record with 3rd round picks, and I'm hoping Gillies is more of the same. Compare him to Anthony Stolarz, a similar big, raw butterfly goaltender from the draft, and Gillies is miles ahead.
2) Laurent Brossoit. Solid technique, though he drops a bit early. Some other people I've talked to have mentioned that a lot of his game is mental - if he's not rattled by an early soft goal, it's all good for him. If he is, the floodgates open. I haven't seen it myself (only seen him twice live), but if that comes around, I really like his chances.
3) Joni Ortio. I honestly don't know much about his Europe play. I just know he's got some problems and in Abbotsford was scrambling a bit. He plays well on a bad team, so if his fundamental technique is getting worked on, he could be a decent player.

Last edited by kirant; 01-31-2013 at 09:46 AM.
kirant is offline   Reply With Quote