View Single Post
Old 04-21-2017, 09:35 AM   #1307
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I don't disagee with what you are saying here however bad journalism from good sources should be called out. I expect the Times and WaPo not to do this kind of thing so when you reference them they are credible sources. This type of journalism hurts their credibility and should be called out.

That doesn't mean Trump isn't a moron and lots of people dislike him. Despite that being true we should be calling out the bad journalism.

Tim Thomas is the name that immediately comes to mind for refusing presidential visits of Obama. Not NFL but I am lazy and don't feel like looking.
i don't know how these things evolve, whether the photos are official releases from the White House or the Patriots...

in today's day and age, newspapers definitely need to ensure that they are accurate and do their due diligence, especially with the current political climate.

it should be noted that the quote from the Patriots spokesperson that provided the actual player numbers were, in fact, in that NYTimes article with the pictures had that information...the image is missing that caveat, particularly in their tweet IIRC, so that context should have been added and the editors need to be more diligent in ensuring there is a protocol prior to releasing this kind of article as it will be a lightning rod for attention

Tim Thomas (crazy) and Matt Birk (pro-life) are the only two athletes i could find that skipped the WH visit for publicly stated political reasons prior to this (both under the Obama White House)...

While the NYTimes does need to do a better job of vetting their information, especially as probably one of the most respected newspapers out there, it does bring up a point of contention for me.

Why should the NYTimes be held to a standard that Brietbart and Infowars or Fox News (excepting Chris Wallace and Shepard Smith possibly) are not held to? When the POTUS is calling news media "Fake News" simply because he disagrees with their coverage, that has a major impact on the legitimacy of the press as a whole and is a assault on the constitution itself.

I used to have faith in people to actually have some degree of critical thinking, to be able to parse fact from fiction... Trump's election has me re-calibrating that assumption.

While the Democrats have their issues, they are far and away better than what I've seen of the GOP

Last edited by oldschoolcalgary; 04-21-2017 at 09:37 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post: