View Single Post
Old 03-01-2016, 03:29 PM   #45
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Do you live under a rock? You haven't seen dumb people running around all over North America pretending to have a gluten allergy when you know they don't? And then six months go by and they're stuffing pizza into their face because it turned out they didn't have an allergy after all? You seriously haven't seen this?

If you have a fake nut or lactose condition I'll think you're just as stupid and I'll be just as unaccommodating. I specifically mentioned the gluten one because that's the 'in' one right now. Fifteen years ago the same type of person wasn't eating carbs. Five years from now it will be something else.

How many events/parties do you host? People with food preferences often feel the need to make their problem yours. And when multiple people do this at a big enough event, you simply cannot accommodate them all. If you're at a party of 30 people and you can't eat what the other 29 can, just worry about yourself, please.
Oh I've seen it. I spent 4 years in a relationship with a person who has Celiac's disease, and this was before it was the "it" thing. People that "fake" it tick me off than they probably do for you (maybe not). That doesn't mean we get to assume anyone that has issues with it is "faking it".

I host plenty of BBQs and parties, and have a group of friends that includes people from all of the mentioned categories. People bring their own stuff. Veggie burgers, gluten-free buns, etc... And if they don't, I've never had anyone actually complain about it, just politely decline having any of the regular food without a fuss. I've also accommodated people when I didn't really have to. "Oh, you don't have any veggie burgers?" "No, but hey, you got $5? The store is a 2 minute walk, I'll head over there if you want to watch the BBQ for me?" "Sure, thanks!" Everyone's happy. I don't see a need to throw it in their faces if they aren't throwing it in mine.

I dunno, maybe I have better friends?