View Single Post
Old 09-04-2013, 09:26 PM   #72
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
^ I don't see how the off-season has been that great. The jury is still out on his drafting record, sure a few could turn out well, but they could easily still be busts. Also a blind person could have taken Monahan based on pre-draft rankings.

After that what else has he done?

The Tanguay trade? Meh, pretty much a trade sideways.

Traded for Russell? Not very good.

Traded for Galiardi? Decent deal, but nothing really to hang his hat on.

Signed Corban Knight? Smart move, but Knight knew where he would be given the most ice time this year.

That's really his entire track record at least this off-season. He's been decent enough over his tenure, but personally I don't have enough confidence in his ability to rebuild this franchise long term.
The most unexpected move this offseason, I'll give him credit for...didn't think anyone would take an Iginla-less Tanguay, and Sarich couldn't get away from Hartley quick enough. So to get any return from that was good.

It was pretty clear he thought he could make some moves at the draft I think he tried hard to move that 6th pick, and I think went after some UFA's, but the price was too high, and, couldn't get anything of decent value for Cammalleri.

Outside of that, at the draft he took the guy any GM would've taken at 6, and outside of dropping 13 or so spots at the 22 pick, picked Klimchuk about where he should've landed.

Russell, Galiardi, Knight, all local guys who grew up as Flames fans, and all on short 1 year deals. Signing the younger guys to contracts at the end of last season and guys like Joey Macdonald, were as much administrative as anything. He didn't make the splash that he so desperately wanted to do.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post: