View Single Post
Old 01-08-2011, 04:20 PM   #6
onetwo_threefour
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I question the truth of the assertion that older immigrants are a net drain on society. A good majority of immigrants are only accepted if they meet minimum financial criteria and most of those invest those financial means and pay income tax on the revenue generated. That revenue continues to be generated even past the age of 65 so the income tax coffers are being replenished by these older immigrants even as they are drawing on the pensions. Furthermore, the pensions are prorated by the number of years of residency (to my understanding) such that an older immigrant will not receive the same pension dollars as one who has emigrated much earlier.

This is what I meant about the subtleties of the argumant being lost in these types of emails that are flying around these days. I find them akin to election attack ads in how poorly they present more than one side of an argumant and they reactions they intend to provoke.

By the way, I'm not advocating for this Bill. Even having looked into it a bit I still feel uninformed and don't have a firm position.