View Single Post
Old 05-20-2017, 11:23 PM   #14
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerjones View Post
Can I ask a question that comes from a good place? It's a place of wanting to understand mental health issues.

Backstory:
When I was 22 I was in an auto accident and lost my first wife. I was obviously sad and upset. I remember family, friend, and tons of doctors asking about my mental state and If I has suicidal thoughts. I just never had any of those thoughts.

Fast Forward to now. I have had some friends attempt suicide and some friends commit suicide.

I find it extremely hard to empathize with them because I never had these thoughts. Even in , what I perceive as, the hardest part of my life I never suffered depression or suicidal thoughts.

I feel ####ty because I think I might have downplayed other's issues because I can't understand the place their struggle came from. I know mental health issues are real. Is there anything I can do to become more educated on the issues?

These are two good videos on the topic to understand it a bit more.

The worst thing about depression is that it doesn't need to follow any other negative things in a person's life. Just like you can get a cold when lots of things are going well, so can depression set in without any seemingly rational cause of distress or sadness.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post: