Thread: ACL surgery?
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2007, 04:45 PM   #6
Jade
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Knee surgery has come a long way in the last couple years. Gone are the days where they just cut out the injured area and stich what's left together hoping it will hold. I have a friend who had ACL reconstruction last summer, and the healing time was fairly fast (although I think it was only a partial tear). They will take a part of your hamstring muscle (I think), to go across the gap. over time this will develop into a ligament. My friend was off his feet for about a week (and really drugged up to begin with talk about funny) and on cruches for a couple more. He was back to most normal activity with a brace (and more careful about range of motion) within a month or two. Was in physio for a while after, and has already been cleared as back to as close to 100% as it will ever be. I think that took 6 months. I'm surprised you had to get an MRI. He never did get one (the MRI was scheduled for august, he was able to get the surgery done before that, so there was no point). The torn meniscus will be the part that as I understand takes longer to heal. I believe it is a worse injury, and I'm not sure cartilage heals as well as ligaments.

Make sure you feel comfortable with your surgeon, as some are much better than others. If it isn't done right, it may not heal properly at all.
Jade is offline   Reply With Quote