View Single Post
Old 04-27-2012, 02:36 PM   #13
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I don't think I would say they need to learn to deal with distractions, but having all sorts of different kids in a class is the best way to teach them empathy.

I know that the whole food allergy thing is a pain in the butt, however my son always reminds us that there are kids in his kindergarten class that are allergic to nuts, dairy, etc. and that I have to be careful about what snacks I give to him to take to class. I think the more opportunity for kids to grow up around people who are different than them the better for their future.

Also, kindergarten is pretty much a year of playing, socializing, and some basic reading and math. I don't think at that stage a distraction to their learning process will hold any kids back. Not to detract from the beautiful story, but why did the OP wonder why the kid was in the class? The class learns to empathy and patience with their friend, and the other kid learns acceptable behavior.
Kindergarten is all about distractions, I think sometimes we take normal kids behavior in a chaotic social environment and want to attach medical conditions to it, or mental conditions to it.

When I was that young I would have been hopped up on so many pills that I would still be a zombie. Once I learned the words to the song Valley of the Dinosaurs, I was bellowing that out at the top of my lungs for 8 hours a day for a month.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: