View Single Post
Old 10-09-2016, 08:55 AM   #96
Flamescuprun2018
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Source: http://stocktonheat.com/news/mcdonal...season-finale/

McDonald Stops 19 in Preseason Finale, as Heat Fall in Bakersfield

October 8, 2016/in News /by Dustin Cowell
Bakersfield, Calif. – Despite a solid effort from rookie goaltender Mason McDonald and Brett Pollock’s first goal of this preseason, the Stockton Heat fell to the Bakersfield Condors in their final preseason tune-up 3-1 Saturday night at Rabobank Arena. McDonald got the nod in net and went the distance, stopping 19 of the 21 shots he faced. However, a pair of special teams tallies led Bakersfield to the win and sent the Heat back to Stockton with an even .500 record at the conclusion of the preseason. The Stockton Heat will open their regular season this Saturday, October 15 when the San Jose Barracuda come to Stockton Arena for the Heat’s Opening Night.

SCORING SUMMARY
1st Period
HEAT GOAL: F Brett Pollock (1) shot from the high slot make its way through traffic and beats the goaltender (Morrison, Smith assists), 4:58 (PP)
Shots: STK – 9 | BAK – 8

2nd Period
No goals
Shots: STK – 16 | BAK – 7

3rd Period
Bakersfield goal: F Jujhar Khaira (1) turnover leads to a quick break and a shot that beats the goaltender on the glove side (unassisted), 4:12 (SH)
Bakersfield goal: F Joey Benik (1) point shot off the draw gets through traffic and beats the goaltender (Simonelli, Russell assists), 9:00 (PP)
Bakersfield goal: F Josh Currie (1) shot on a rush goes into the empty net (unassisted), 19:01 (EN)
Shots: STK – 13 | BAK – 7

GOALIES
W: Eetu Laurikainen (38 shots, 37 saves)
L: Mason McDonald (21 shots, 19 saves)

NOTABLE STATISTICS
Three Stars: 1- Joey Benik (1 goal) 2- Eetu Laurikainen (37 saves) 3- Jujhar Khaira (1 goal)
Final Shots: STK – 38 | BAK – 22
Power Plays: STK – 1/4 | BAK – 1/7
Brett Pollock (1 goal) scored his first preseason goal and his first power-play goal
Mason McDonald stopped 19 of the 21 shots he faced in his first AHL start

QUOTES
“I think it’s good to back into the rhythm, but you want those wins for sure. I think now we just need to focus on the season starting Saturday and I think we’ve got a good group of guys here heading into the season.” – Emile Poirier on his views of the preseason and looking forward to the regular season opener.

“I’m just trying to focus on my game and play well on both sides of the ice. I know I’m one of the older guys on this team now, so I want to take on more of a leadership role and help some of the younger guys along like some of the older guys have done for me.” – Poirier on taking on a larger role this year with the Heat.

“I thought we did some good things in the offensive zone. We just didn’t have a lot of finish tonight. You look up and you see 38 shots with just one goal – we’ve got to find a way to score some more in that situation.” – Head Coach Ryan Huska with his thoughts on the offensive game tonight.

“[Fan Fest] is what it’s all about. We have a great core group of fans that support us. Whether it’s a week night or a weekend, they’re always there. This gives them an opportunity to meet some of our new players and obviously gives them a chance to ask some questions to our coaching staff. We’re excited to see everyone out and get to chat with the fans.” – Coach Huska on looking forward to Sunday’s Fan Fest at Stockton Arena.

NEXT HOME GAME
STOCKTON HEAT vs. San Jose Barracuda
October 15 @ Stockton Arena
First 1,500 fans receive a Magnetic Schedule
Doors @ 6:30 p.m., Puck drop @ 7:30 p.m.
Flamescuprun2018 is offline   Reply With Quote