View Single Post
Old 08-03-2017, 02:40 PM   #82
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a hard time to be sure. My dad passed 8.5 years from cancer. Shortly after the new year.

We managed to make it out for Thanksgiving and then for Christmas with the kids. My son was only 6 months old and daughter 2 and a bit when he passed but at least my dad got to hold and cuddle them a few times. I have a video I secretly took of my dad holding my son singing to him when he thought no one was around. Telling him after how good of buddies they would have been. Heartbreaking and heartwarming all at the same time.

That final Christmas the cancer had basically spread to every bone in his body and he was in awful pain if you even really touched him. He needed help to get up from sitting and similar to your recent experience there were times he fell and people needed to help my mom get him back up. Yet we took a picture with him and all the grandkids arms around him, in the lap etc and he has the proudest, biggest grin on his face. His eyes are, I don't know, twinkling I guess. Face beaming with pride. The only time the last few months of his life I saw that. It's a favourite. 2 weeks later he was gone.

I don't know you bc-chris, but I am so happy you've had the chance to spend this time with your dad and family. For me out of all the fantastic memories I have of my father those are the two that I cherish more than any other and they happened right at the end when it was the toughest.

Excuse me while get this stuff out of my eyes.....
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ernie For This Useful Post: